Monday, September 14, 2009

The Sattiday that was...

I found my bike missing the friday eve when I returned from office. It was parked on the roadside besides our apartment gate. Just one moment of unpleasant feeling, but the next moment, even before I rang the bell of my flat, I was sporting a smile on my face. Told wifey that the bike is probably stolen. It was hard for my wife to believe, because of the smile. Went down for a round in the nearby societies, just for the heck of it. And then found out which is the Police station that covers this area. Was all set with my documents to report to Police and get an FIR, so that I can start the insurance claim procedure (The reason behind the smile). Post dinner, I had funny talk sessions with Mom and with Seemaji (sis-in-law), with Mom a bit concerned about how would I handle all this, and Seemaji asking for sweets, coz I will be buying a new bike now. She knows of my fascination towards Bajaj Avenger these days. I was busy making my plans, about what actions need to be taken, and how do I manage my life without a bike for few days/weeks.

Let me give some more background here - I have a 2003 TVS Victor and have been using it for all these years. I want to replace it with a power bike, but don't want to do it before I relocate to Pune/Mumbai/Hyderabad. The handle lock of the bike was not in order since Feb 2009 and so it is having only the ignition lock for safety. And moreover, this lazy bum (also called as 'I, Myself n Aj') was too lazy this time to park it within the apartment compound every evening. The bike was lying outside the compound since Tuesday - a full 4 days and 3 nights together.

Thread 1 : Next day, Sattiday, I asked one of the watchman on the street if he knows anything about the bike; and he was trying to tell me something in Tamil, which I understood little. I called Suresh Uncle for translating help, which he did happily - and we were told that the bike was probably taken up by the watchman of the opposite mansion. I went to the mansion asking for the bike, but was not being treated well. They thought of me of some loser college going/just passed out kind of foreigner (non south-Indian), and asked me to again contact them on Monday. That's when I had to use my skills to convince them that they will have a tough time if they mess with me. All this conversation was in Tamil(watchman) and broken English(myself). Finally, the bike was traced to be with a guy named Das, who went out of Chennai for the weekend and parked the bike near his workplace. I got Das's mobile number from the Mansion, and my body language convinced them that they better return my bike without any delay. I did not talk to Das, but those watchmen talked and hinted of the scenario. Meanwhile the mansion owner Mr. Sridhar arrived and took my side to report to the police. This made the watchmen and few residents of the mansion feel the heat.

Thread 2 : As I came out of the mansion, I met Adv. Jesu Raj - the chairman of the society next to our compound, and I greeted him. I just mentioned to him about the bike incident, when his facial expression turned into a bit angry one and almost scolding me - "how can you keep the bike unlocked on the street, that too opposite our society for 4 days together?" He infact informed Chennai police that an unidentified and unlocked vehicle from Maharashtra is lying there for 4 days, and police would be coming anytime to pick the vehicle up and carry out of this street. After some drama, he understood what action is needed now, forgetting what has happened.

Now the iron was hot and I decided to hammer it at this time. So I called up Das, and handed the phone over to Adv. Jesu Raj, who in Tamil, explained him of the seriousness of what he has done, and how Das has taken up a 'probably' stolen bike, and what kind of action can be taken against Das. So, Das finally gave up and agreed that he will make arrangements so that bike will be handed over to the owner by Sattiday eve. By this time, the mansion owner Mr. Sridhar also arrived and talked to Das in a pacifying tone, so that Das is calmed down and he makes arrangements.

Meanwhile, everyone in our society came to know of the story, and everyone tried to explain me how wrong it is to keep the bike unlocked. And how more wrong it is to park it on the street. WTF! As if I dont know what a lock is meant for!!! The bike was returned to me by around 5pm, and once more ppl asking me to fix the handle lock, and park it inside the compound.

I informed this to Mom and Seemaji. Seemaji couldn't control her laughter and announced that "Aj's bike is in such a condition that even thieves return it back". Dad was suffering from a very very sore throat, and I kept myself from talking to him on phone for Sat-Sun-Mon. This will serve two purpose - unselfish purpose : the lesser dad talks, the sooner he recovers; and the selfish one : I am saved from his scolding about being like a careless teen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Daga bhaiya ki jai ho.....aapke saare blogs gazab hai......u writes really awesome dude :)

Unknown said...

GAZAB....very interesting blogs......u write mind blowing man :)

vindy said...

why did u have to mess with Das?... you could have given up and bought an Aveneger .. :).. Wo tera TVS victor 1K ko bhi nahi bikegaa yede...

Mukeshh Agarwal said...

funny - "Aj's bike is in such a condition that even thieves return it back"