Sunday, November 9, 2008

The death of 'Sober' myself!

It was this during the first few days at Lahoti hostel - Aug/Sept 1996. But let me give you a background on what type of sober teenager I was.Till my class 12th, I was not used to utter any 'g' or 'c' or 'f' or 'bc' or 'mc' words. Lets call this category of words as '*' words. (Do you want me to provide a list of abbreviations used and the longform at the bottom of this page?) In fact, if A and B (and I am C) are using those words frequently, I used to maintain a distance. (praaji, oye mai kiya, distance maintain karee). And when people used those words, I used to go by the meaning, and think of those fellas a disgusting and wat not!

So, after my admission to Pune for Engineering (now, dont ask me if I am really an engineer?), and consequent admisson to V. N. Lahoti hostel, 1099/A, Model Colony, Pune-16, I came to know across few gents(?) who used to have more '*' words than actual words. That was so disgusting. I was totally confused - how come people as brilliant and from such a reputed social background may be using all those words - that too so frequently, with everyone, and everyone around. In the initial few days, I mastered the art of appearing for ragging - and how to entertain seniors in a better way. Learnt a few adult jokes from college and memorised them; so that I can impress seniors. (Isn't there a better way?)

So this guy - Bawa, as we call him now - Amit, Anand Bhaiya's aide; called me in his room. Along with Amit, there were few others in the room - Anand Bhaiya, Girish, Mahesh, Rahul, Pavan. So after the initial few routine ragging questions, I was told to sit and relax (Thanks to Anand Bhaiya - my protective shell). Bawa asked me if I use those '*' words; and asked me 'why not' for which I really had no answer. Bawa - "Gaali dete waqt (ya lete waqt) uska meaning mat dekh, uske piche ke emotions dekh". "Ab agar corner pe tera zhagda ho gaya aur gaali galoch ho gayee to tu kya kar lega? Itni himmat aur takat to hai nahi ki maarpit karein? To kam se kam gaali dekar apni bhadaas nikal le...ha ha ha" Typical Bawa laughter, joined sincerely by Girish and Rahul.

After asking Anand Bhaiya to leave the room (I wouldn't be comfortable in my first reciting of these special '*' words in his presence), I was asked to start uttering those '*' words in a loop; until I finish. And yess, my performance was not that bad. I scored well; apart from fluency. And it began from the first month, and will continue till I am able to speak. Just the difference is - a bit of control over volume and location.

Once Dhaval and I were in some tension (after kickin one job, and the other kicking us harder), I honestly requested dhavalya for his special 'mc'. I ended hugging him in love, once he said 'mc daga'! (Friendly love, mind you).

5 comments:

Paresh V. Devalekar said...

Hmmm.... ekdam rapchik... sidha dil se... no sensor... Accha laga.. Tera dil, deemakh aur 'aungliya' ekdam sync main hain :).

Anonymous said...

so thts d story...

Vikash157 said...

good that u started writing.. can we have some stuff related to HND and Firodiya

Amit Rathi said...

Dagaji,

First of all, i would appreciate that you initiated blogging. I would be inspired by this and would start blogging in 2009.
you have really summarized the events very well. keep it up. do write more anecdote.
amit rathi

Anand Totala said...

Oyee..

I sincerely believe that this blog should be read by every graduate as this will benefit him for rest of his life... :).. Thanks Ajay..and i hope your future blogs will also as sensational as this one...